Invasion or Salvation

Brianna Brow and Jennifer Gutierrez, Staff Writers

Children crying, people yelling, tear gas falling near the invaders. This is what the Honduran caravan in Mexico had to face as they attempted to illegally enter the United States on November 25, 2018.

Due to this dilemma, the San Ysidro vehicle and pedestrian crossing was closed around 11 am. The pedestrian crossing was reopened at 3:45 pm while the vehicle crossing reopened at 6 pm the same day, according to Los Angeles Times. President Donald Trump threatened to close down the border permanently, if needed.

“If he did, I would be affected because it would be hard for me to see family that I have in TJ,” sophomore Yovani Arce said.

Although Arce does not appreciate Trump’s idea, he does think the Hondurans should be supported by him.

“I feel like they were too harsh on them,” Arce said, “if they are willing to work or earn their own money…then the government should reach out and help mainly with children and pregnant women.”

Reported by NBC news, the arriving migrants were given a place to stay in a sports arena in Mexico. Due to poor conditions that the Mexican government were unwilling to fix, many of the migrants decided to make their way to the border.

The center of the dilemma at hand was due to a border rush that took place on November 25th. According to NBC News, the migrants rushed the border “only after being denied access to the port of entry where they could claim asylum.

As the migrants rushed the border, many of them began climbing structures and throwing projectiles, such as rocks, at Customs and Border Protection. CBP unleashed tear gas upon the migrants in defense after some agents were hit with the projectiles.

“Though it is understandable why a lot of the people come in it, the caravan has been causing chaos from when they forcibly came into the country [Mexico],” sophomore Tanya Lopez says.

Updates on the migrant activity of the Hondurans will be posted when there is further news on the situation.